Saturday, June 27, 2009

From Famine To Feast

I think that feast or famine is a universal theme for home vegetable gardeners. You go from waiting and anticipating your first taste of the fruits of your labors to having more than you know what to do with (almost).

I've been hovering over the melons for weeks now looking for signs of ripening and then, suddenly, while making the rounds last Wednesday we found this Cantaloupe split open on the blossom end. I've been trying not to over water the melons as they ripen, but I guess it was still growing too fast in the heat and cracked. It probably weighed about 4 - 4 1/2 pounds. The ants found it before we did and were really digging it.

After so much anticipation, we couldn't wait to taste it.
It was still a little crunchy so, it probably would have benefited from another day or two on the vine, but it still smelled and tasted heavenly.

First thing the next morning I found that this monster honeydew had slipped the vine.

Since we were still working on the cantaloupe,
he sat on the counter looking pretty for a couple days.

Our 14 year old son polished off the last of the cantaloupe Friday night,
so first thing this morning, I cut up the honeydew.
I suppose I am accustomed to grocery store produce because at first it didn't seem to be very sweet to me but after a little while in the fridge the flavor really developed and it was delicious.




No comments:

Post a Comment