Wednesday, July 15, 2009

Renewal

Now that we harvested all the ripe melons, ( I think the final count was 14) the melon vines are producing again. I suppose now that they are not devoting all their resources to the ripening fruit they have the energy to devote to new fruit development.

Baby Bush Star
I'm hoping for lots more of these, they were the tastiest of the bunch.

Baby cantaloupe
These were good too, but I've only found one so far.

So that means, of course, that our least favorite,
the honeydew, is going to put out the most fruit.


The watermelon vine is also flowering again, so I'll keep it around for a while longer. The nurseries around here don't have many vegetables in stock right now to replace it with anyway. Just tomatoes and peppers, maybe some herbs. Everything is so stressed from the heat and wind there is really no point in trying to start anything new. I'll hold out for cooler weather.

1 comment:

  1. Kim,
    I am growing melons. I have two little baby vines. I think of you and the pictures you've shared. These were gifts and I can't turn away little plantings. I'll keep you posted.

    ReplyDelete