Saturday, May 30, 2009

Garden Update

(Or, How I learned To Stop Worrying And Love Zucchini)

The zucchini glut continues *sigh*,  but they are so neutral you can throw them in just about anything.  In addition to the usual suspects, I made a zucchini chocolate cake this week - be still my thighs!  There have been enough tomatoes to share a few with a tomato starved friend but, I'd like to see some more of the Early Girls ripen.

Everything is growing right along in their self-watering containers.

My garden-helper won't sit still for a picture, but always has a smile.

The melon vines are climbing/running everywhere.

They're lush and pretty with their bright yellow flowers.

Cantaloupe and Honeydew cousins growing side-by-side.

Big melon, little melon.

Two happy cantaloupes. 

A long, skinny one.

This baby is way ahead of the others, I fondle it daily looking for signs of ripening.  
 I like fondling my melons.

Sugar Baby watermelon vine.

Baby Sugar Baby.

I just love the Dusky eggplant plant, so full and robust.

Baby eggplant.

I'm pretty sure the mystery plants in with carrots are brocolli.  They seems to be co-existing well.

The lonely zucchini.

The hanging tomatoes want to grow upwards before they get heavy and droop down.  I support the thicker parts of the stems with a loop of garden tape so that they don't snap under their own weight.  Yes, I learned to do that from experience.

These two monster zucchinis are almost in the pool.
I've resorted to shredding and freezing the excess bounty.  
I can only cook and give away so much.

1 comment:

  1. Kim,
    Your garden looks amazing. You have solved the mystery with self watering buckets and you are truly an inspiration.

    ReplyDelete