Sunday, May 10, 2009

Seeds Of Frustration

My attempts at growing from seed have not been very successful.  It was just too hot and dry outside to keep them evenly moist.  I'll try again with some cool season seeds in the fall.

Clockwise from the white bucket:  
Carrots (and mystery plants)
Green Onions
Red Leaf Lettuce 
Beets
Mesclun Mix
Watermelon "Sugar Baby"
Lemon Cucumbers
Bush Beans (not shown)


The red leaf lettuce is struggling in the heat but we have enjoyed the little bit we've had.
I've moved it to a semi-shady spot under the tomatoes.  It's stopped wilting (and growing). 


I sprinkled an entire packet of "Baby Finger" carrot seeds in here and they sprouted along with some mystery seedlings.  I thought they might have been radishes and was going to leave them but after a couple weeks it was pretty obvious they weren't so I pinched them all off except for two because I am curious what they will turn out to be.


The lemon cucumbers and watermelons are in self waterers and are doing great.  I wish everything were in those things, they are so carefree, just keep the bottom full of water and the soil stays evenly moist.  Next year!

1 comment:

  1. After failing at a few edibles, I stuck with
    beans, a couple of native kinds. With them I am successful.

    Now I am into the vine/climbers period. In my collection of over one hundres species there
    are at least ten...Mostly ipomoeas...

    Good luck with your gardening...

    ReplyDelete